It's time for colleges and universities to speak the language of learners and employers.
Whether it’s employers looking to hire or job seekers looking for work, having the right skills is key in today’s economy. In fact, work-relevant skills are fast becoming the primary language and currency of the labor market — the best way to communicate value in a skill-based economy.
In this environment, a skill-based approach will be essential for colleges and universities that want to attract new learners, offer in-demand programs, and produce sought-after graduates.
Heading into 2021, higher education faces much change and uncertainty. But one thing at least is clear: Skills are required.
The events of 2020-2021 accelerated significant trends:
• Economic disruption has many working adults looking for opportunities to upskill or reskill to remain competitive in the job market.
• Rapidly changing technology means that new skills are constantly in (and out) of demand with today’s employers.
• HR departments are turning to skill-based talent acquisition strategies, deemphasizing majors and degrees, to increase efficiency and equity in hiring.
• Learners are bypassing traditional degrees in pursuit of shorter, skill-based microcredentials.
Opportunities for a skill-based future
The challenges are real, but so are the opportunities. In this ebook, you’ll discover:
• The unique strengths of skills data for aligning academic offerings with employer needs (and learner demand)
• How mapping curriculum to in-demand skills unlocks value for educators, learners, and employers
• Why aligning taught skills with sought skills is key to developing in-demand microcredentials
• How skillifying curriculum can increase the value and relevance of degree programs in a skill-based economy.
Why skills? Why now?
In higher education, the disruption sparked by COVID-19 has caused an already-present spotlight on skills to grow even brighter. In the months following the onset of the pandemic, a steady stream of surveys and articles have documented the surge in demand for short-term, sub-degree credentials that offer work-relevant skills.
Download the ebook
Learn how you can enhance the value, effectiveness, and relevance of your institution in an increasingly skill-based economy.